Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Playing With My Food - Exploring My Heritage, a little.

I decided this weekend I wanted to try something I had never had before. I went to the grocery and nothing intrigued me, but chuck roasts were on sale, so I bought one.

Now, what to do that was 'different' with a pot roast? Well, in the British Isles, Yorkshire Pudding is a traditional side with roast beef, and much of my heritage is from there. I have never had Yorkshire Pudding, so that is what I decided to make.

Yorkshire Pudding is a very traditional dish in Great Britain. It is even served as a regular menu item at Cambridge University. It is said that Yorkshire pudding was originally served before the main part of the meal, with gravy, to fill people up so they would not eat as much of the expensive roast beef. I chose to eat mine with my meal, because I didn't want to ignore the beef!

I made Marie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast. I cooked the beef with frozen 'stew vegetables' which contained pearl onions, carrots, potatoes and celery. When it was done, I removed it to a platter to rest.




While the beef rested, I made the batter and panned up the pudding and set it to cook for 30 minutes. I used Sky High Yorkshire Pudding.

I then made a nice gravy with the roast juices. I just made a roux with oil and flour, then poured the juices into it after it had cooked for 3 minutes. It worked very well.

I sliced the beef just as the puddings were done. I plated it all up, and smothered it all with gravy and it was awesome.

The roast was tender, the veggies were perfectly done without being mushy, and the pudding was crisp on the outside and light on the inside.

They did not rise as much as I expected, and they were not hollow inside as I expected... nor were they "sky high".. but they were really tasty and I did enjoy them with my meal.




I made another AllRecipes item for dessert: Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies. Also yummy!!






I will be making this again. Maybe you will try something from this meal as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment