Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Playing With My Food - Love Me Tender (Chuck Steaks)

Chuck steaks were on sale this past week at the grocery. These particular ones were named "chuck tender steaks" and they looked a lot like filet mignon. They were nearly the same price as ground beef, and so, they got my attention. I bought a package, then wondered if I'd made a mistake.


I looked up chuck steaks online and on AllRecipes in particular, and most references to chuck steak talked about a tough cut of meat that needed to be beaten and slow-cooked into submission. However, these were called Chuck TENDER steaks... I decided to put my faith in labeling and see what happens. I marinated the little steaks in a favorite blend of mine- apple cidar vinegar, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce, for about an hour.





I then heated up my grill pan. I grill on it freqently because I live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow grills near the apartments for fear of fire.
Anyway, I grilled my precious Chuck Tender Steaks for about 5 minutes per side, while I made some steak fries and peas to go with them.


When they were done to my liking (medium rare), I removed them from the grill and let them rest for about 5 minutes.
I assembled my meal and cut into my steak...




Now, this was not a fork-cut tender steak. I am of the opinion that a steak should NOT be fork tender. It was not tough. In my mind it was a perfect little steak with great flavor and just enough 'chew' to let me know it was a steak. I was well-pleased with these little steaks and will look for them again. I hope they continue to be as inexpensive as they were this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment